The pub is owned and managed by the London brewer Fullers and primarily caters to the lunchtime and after-work trade – the pub sits on the northern fringe of the City of London. The architecture and interior design work was undertaken by Brian O’Tuama Architects based in Shoreditch.
The exterior of the pub – marble, traditional glazed tiling and wood framed bay window – survived an earlier modernisation. And the recent redevelopment stripped back many of the later interior additions to reveal original features – stained-glass roof light and dark woodwork – which now sit happily with the traditional exterior.
The main bar is downstairs with a saloon bar/function room upstairs. Both levels feature bare board flooring, traditional decor and reclaimed furniture – wood table and chairs. The Maria Twin Double Wall Lights are used extensively on the ground floor to provide ambient lighting and complement the original fixtures, fittings and lighting.
The Maria Twin Double Wall Lights are fitted to the wooden frames to the wall mirrors and at either side of the bay window. The wall lights have standard screw (E27 or ES) lamp holders set on a sculpted oval plate. The lamp holders are 45° to the mounting surface and 90° to each other. The components for the wall lights are machined from brass in the UK. After machining, the components are given an authentic antique bronze finish before being assembled, wired and tested to BS EN 60598 at the Factorylux HQ in West Yorkshire.
The use of the Classic Edison Loop Filament Light Bulbs adds to the classic look of the wall lights. All the Factorylux traditional filament bulbs have been SWISS-made since 1906 for exceptional looks and longevity.