The Factorylux BS EN 60598 lighting workshops ran for the first time at Clerkenwell Design Week 2015. The format was ‘Make and Take Home’ and the sessions were a huge hit with the journalists and designers who came along.
The workshops were oversubscribed – apologies to those who were unable to get a slot – and we’re working hard to scale up and repeat them in central London and beyond. The Factorylux reputation for reliability, safety, craftsmanship and our commitment to BS EN 60598 – the key standard for light fittings – is a cornerstone of the brand. The ‘Make and Take Home’ format proved to be a brilliant, entertaining and transparent way to bring it all to life.
Factorylux founders Sophie Gollop and Stanley Wilson, supported by Factorylux technicians Adrian Horsfall and Diane Hanner, took small groups of journalists and designers on a journey behind the scenes of the Factorylux ‘Made For You’ bespoke service. The lighting workshop participants:
- learned about our unique approach to quality and safety compliance
- assembled their own light with one-to-one guidance when required
- discovered the tools and techniques used by Factorylux technicians
- completed safety tests and certified their light to BS EN standards
- learned how to spot those manufacturers who don’t comply to the minimum legal standard
- took home the light they had made
– “A huge thank you to you and the team for the workshop. It was a lovely activity and I was delighted by my light!”
– “It really opened my eyes to how time intensive these things are, it also made me aware of what a good deal it is to have you guys put together these things for the purchaser!”
– “A truly awesome workshop tonight with @Factorylux, came away with my own hand-assembled light!!!”
– “I think it’s especially good for you from a marketing point of view, to get people to realise how much work does/should go into to getting it right.”
– “The Factorylux technicians were lovely, really patient, kind and approachable. Thanks again to all the team… I really enjoyed it!”
– “Thank you for the fantastic workshop – I had an absolute blast and learnt loads, plus it was great to meet everyone in person and not just through emails and social media!”
If you’re interested in attending one of our BS EN 60598 workshops please sign up below. Our aim is to give every journalist, designer or stylist from the lighting/interiors world an opportunity to complete one of the workshops – be patient, the workshops benefit from working in small groups and it might take a few months to get through you all.